UPDATE: Tropical Cyclone Winston Recovery and Support
It has been 13 days since Cyclone Winston hit Fiji and the response from the Fijian Government, neighbouring AID donors such as Australia and New Zealand, NGO’s, the private sector, community groups and the Fijian people is well underway.
— By AFBC
The Australia Fiji Business Council has compiled the following update from key sources.
Current reports are suggesting:
- 43 confirmed deaths as at 1st March, 2016
- 160 either hospitalised, sick or injured as a result of TC Winston
- Approximately 53,635 people remain inevacuation centres
- 999 Evacuation Centres currently in operation
- 192 Schools remain closed
- Current Estimated damage to educational facilities: FJD$44.86M
- Current estimated damage to health facilities: FJD$4.6M
- Value of Aid- in-kind, technical assistance and money from International Donors: FJD$56.8M
- Value of Aid- in-kind, technical assistance and money from Business Community: FJD$2,4M
An update on Australian Assistance and information:
- Australia has pledged an additional AUD$10M to provide food, clean water, hygiene and shelter to communities for recovery.
- See an infographic on Australian Aid to Fiji to date.
- For an update on Australia's contribution please refer to Tropical Cyclone Winston - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
How Australian companies can contribute to the humanitarian aid recovery program
Source: Adrian Weeks – Austrade
For Australian companies wanting to supply products or services for humanitarian purposes, details can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For details about Asian Development Bank (ADB) $2M grant for disaster relief for recovery from Tropical Cyclone Winston click here.
Fiji Infrastructure Mission – 12th – 14th April, 2016
Austrade together with Pacific Islands Trade & Invest has planned a trade mission to Fiji from 12th – 14th April to meet with the infrastructure authorities and service providers to learn about business opportunities. This will include Fiji Roads Authority, Water Authority of Fiji, Fiji Electricity Authority, Investment Fiji and Australian banks (ANZ and Westpac).
If members are interested to promote their product and join the Infrastructure Mission please apply here.
New Opportunities to Support Recovery Efforts
Rotary Australia is collecting donations for medical assistance and school projects for anywhere in Fiji that can be helped at this time. All donations are tax deductable.
Donate to Rotary
Rotary Australia is also organising a fundraiser for TC Winston recovery. We are calling out to members of the AFBC who may have appropriate prizes they could donate to the fundraiser. Get in touch with AFBC Treasurer Reg Hodgson e: email@example.com to discuss further.
The private sector companies who wish to donate the relief items can contact the Permanent Secretary for Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism in Fiji, Mr. Shaheen Ali on 3305411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Connected Inc. and collecting donated goods, which they hope to send by container in the coming months to help re-establish the people around the area of Savusavu. Contact Colin Norris for more information on e: firstname.lastname@example.org p: 07 3267 1629.
Thank you for your support and our thoughts are with Fiji and any members who have been affected by Tropical Hurricane Winston on this long road to recovery.
Fiji's new Nadi airport terminal now ope...
Fiji's newly refurbished international airport terminal in Nadi has been officia... 5th Jun 2018
Building Trade Ties at the 23rd Australi...
The #23AFBF took place from 12-13th October, 2017 at the InterContinental Hotel ... 19th Oct 2017
Mr Geoffrey N Shaw Elected President of ...
The Australia Fiji Business Council is pleased to announce that Mr Geoffrey N Sh... 17th Oct 2017